Chris Heerschap on 5 Mar 2013 06:49:20 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Converting from single-disk to mirrored

On 3/4/13 8:17 PM, Casey Bralla wrote:
Related question:  Can you simply add a second drive to a system to create a
RAID mirror system?

I've got a server that crashed last year and then I f'ed up the restore.  I'd
like to add a RAID mirror, but thought I had to start off that way from a clean
install.  is there an easy way to setup RAID on a running system?

Quite some time back I was curious if this was possible, and had a RHEL system at my disposal to test with, and actually succeeded in going from a one disk system to a mirrored setup. I documented it at the time:

http://db94.net:8080/wtf/pmwiki.php?n=Main.ConvertingInstallationToMirrored

Whole buncha caveats apply, and I only did it because I didn't care about the data on the system. Since then, I've actually come to the conclusion that having good OS backups and a quick way to restore the OS is far more effective than having a software mirrored OS. I've found that using "dump" is a really good way to back up the OS and have used it for recovery, DR tests, as well as system cloning.

cmh