Rich Freeman on 12 Mar 2013 18:50:39 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Setting an environment variable for servers on Linux...

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 9:16 PM, Matt Murphy <mattyhead@gmail.com> wrote:
> Those rc#.d scripts define environments for individual processes, I think.
> I don't think there's a quick way to do what you want to do.  Anyone?

I would imagine that this would vary based on your sysvinit implementation.

With OpenRC you can set variables per-service in /etc/conf.d, and I
imagine that systemd would offer something similar within its unit
files.

I believe that anything set in /etc/env.d/ will affect services as
well as interactive shells under OpenRC.  Considering my apache
process appears to have picked up an XSESSION from there that seems
likely.

>From a purely linux-based standpoint the kernel runs init, and then
init does whatever it wants to do.  Anything inherited by a process
was set by init or one of the children between it and the process of
interest.  Distros tend to vary a fair bit in terms of their preferred
way of accomplishing this.

Rich