Rich Freeman on 7 Apr 2013 07:36:42 -0700

Re: [PLUG] RAID Linux or RAID BIOS?

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM, K.S. Bhaskar <bhaskar@bhaskars.com> wrote:
> Use Linux RAID, not the BIOS RAID - if you ever need to replace your
> motherboard, the new motherboard BIOS may not be compatible.

Yup - stay away from the BIOS RAID.  It is still software RAID, just
not implemented as well.

Linux mdadm is far more flexible - you can reshape your array while it
is still online.

About the only thing I'd consider before mdadm would be a real RAID
card with battery backup, but that will run you $1000. If you're going
to be spending that kind of money you should also be thinking in terms
of other enterprise-scale technologies (SAN/etc).

Keep in mind RAID isn't a good substitute for backups.  The only real
failure mode it protects against is physical drive failure.  Even then
your server could still require rebooting or even hardware fidgeting
(depends on how good your controllers are and how the drive fails).

Oh, think carefully before striping your swap.  Swap is obviously
expendible, but if your swap device goes down your system will likely
panic.

I have my /boot on mdadm raid1.  You do need to follow the appropriate
guides when setting this up as it needs to be in a format that is
grub-friendly.  Also, at least with grub1 the old metadata formats
which are required tend to make it a bit flaky when drives get
added/removed/etc - sometimes I've found my /boot degraded and I need
to re-add the appropriate device.  The old mdadm metadata formats
which are grub-friendly aren't as robust when it comes time to
auto-assemble everything.

Oh, and if you're installing mdadm, you should almost certainly use
LVM on top of it.  I'd recommend LVM on any install, but in any of the
situations where it would get in the way mdadm would also get in the
way.

Rich