JP Vossen on 1 May 2013 12:26:27 -0700

[PLUG] USENIX ;login: book reviews

USENIX, "the Advanced Computing Systems Association" publishes ;login:, the USENIX magazine (https://www.usenix.org/publications), 6 times per year. "Online issues of ;login: more than a year old are freely available to everyone, as are a number of pieces in each issue, including book reviews, conference reports, and standards reports."

I have a calendar entry to read the book reviews every 2 months, and I always get something out of this, even if it's a list of books not to bother with. But usually I find at least one or two to buy.

The most recent one is:
* https://www.usenix.org/publications/login/april-2013-volume-38-number-2
* https://www.usenix.org/system/files/login/articles/11_books_045-047_online.pdf

And reviews:

_Naked Statistics: Stripping the Dread from the Data_
Charles Wheelan
W. W. Norton and Company, 2013. 260 pp.
ISBN 978-0-393-07195-5
Reviewed by Elizabeth Zwicky

_Algorithms in a Nutshell_
George T. Heineman, Gary Pollice, Stanley Selkow
O'Reilly, 2009. 335 pp.
ISBN 978-0-596-51624-6
Reviewed by Elizabeth Zwicky

_The Art of Readable Code_
Dustin Boswell and Trevor Foucher
O'Reilly, 2011. 184 pp.
ISBN 978-0-596-80229-5
Reviewed by Elizabeth Zwicky

_Living with Complexity_
Donald A. Norman
MIT Press, 2011. 265 pp.
ISBN 978-0-262-01486-1
Reviewed by Elizabeth Zwicky

_MapReduce Design Patterns_
Donald Miner and Adam Shook
O'Reilly, 2012. 227 pp.
ISBN 978-1-449-32717-0
Reviewed by Elizabeth Zwicky

_Getting Started with Raspberry Pi_
Matt Richardson and Shawn Wallace
O'Reilly Media, 2013. 176 pp.
ISBN 978-1-449-34421-4
Reviewed by Mark Lamourine

_Practical Vim: Edit Text at the Speed of Thought_
Drew Neil
The Pragmatic Bookshelf, 2012. 311 pp.
ISBN 978-1-93435-698-2
Reviewed by Rik Farrow

Out of that, I have and really liked the last, and see 2-3 to buy. I have a few other Don Norman books and recommend them, especially _The Design of Everyday Things_.

Enjoy,
JP