Rich Freeman on 2 May 2013 13:02:56 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Reading one ext3 partition in another computer

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Adam Zion <azion1995@gmail.com> wrote:
> Barring encryption, is there any particular reason that I shouldn't be able
> to remove a ext3-formatted drive from a Suse Linux Enterprise Server
> computer and read it in another one? I ask b/c this SLES server is acting
> odd, and I'm much more familiar with Debian-based systems.
>
> Now, if someone wants to help me w/the weirdness, I'm all ears... or eyes.

As long as the destination computer has the kernel configured to
understand the disk layout you should be fine.  If it is just generic
MPT+ext3 that is almost certainly going to be the case.  As you get
into lvm, evms, gpt, etc there is a chance you might be missing a
needed config item.  However, in general it shouldn't be hard to
mount.

Rich