Adam Zion on 2 May 2013 18:27:57 -0700
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
[PLUG] Rescuing data from a likely dead HD
- From: Adam Zion <email@example.com>
- To: PLUG <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: [PLUG] Rescuing data from a likely dead HD
- Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 21:27:50 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:x-received:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=ASS+JdcmD5RfPaE7XZyKn5xwOrT0JKKtRp4X3WX6vZU=; b=tCSNUmD7Ut17VO59JSfUZ8aC9BYuECQrpY6+htq3qc+QczC6c5E3FFvuNSNh1J6JrP lppFjMliizNXCMQIg3NgaULypdwwY3UFQHsuXx0kLqLsxDNxYFzAQjpmi+suHaDQ6GnG VeH6+4gpXutS+IrI9Q0flKNgGSaQKl7GBn8Eleq2B6fc/+SyRHnD0l1jdDkQuq3fGOFv O/1pjUQVfwouD8AM/5fF/F6vK/JwiRNK8B2NJMqsRfqqEwrJEwJPwb9x17mRvs61tBtH HhwhUEu5VtDeHiviGenc0omDvlLT9vb1C1+JRWa6ucrpNbCkzGbYvoSi6wwZYP+M0hmU Mldw==
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
OK, ignore the last question- I solved that myself (will explain offline if anyone's interested). This new one may be more difficult- or, at least, more expensive.
A home support customer of mine has had his notebook HD fry on him. He has a backup, but it's old, so he'd like to restore data from the dead drive. I've tried the deep freeze trick- all I get from that is a quiet sound that's as if the drive is *trying* to spin up... but not able to do so completely.
Is there anything short of sending this drive out to a data recovery place, w/the associated costs?
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug