Joe Terranova on 2 May 2013 19:51:43 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Rescuing data from a likely dead HD

So, I'd only try this if he's cool with potentially losing the data altogether.

Your next option would be to try replacing the controller on the hard
drive. If you can find a hard drive of an identical model and version,
you can take the controller off of that and put it on the dead drive.
Many hard drives have the controller on the outside of the casing, and
you can replace it without exposing the platter. If the hard drives
requires exposing the platter to replace the controller, you will
likely lose the data if you don't do so in a clean room.

Joe Terranova
US20100864125