Eric H. Johnson on 7 May 2013 12:05:08 -0700

[PLUG] Moving user accounts

Hi all,

I set up an Ubuntu computer for a senior center some years back and that
computer is now long overdue for an upgrade. The existing computer is
running Ubuntu 10.04 and has something the high side of 20 user accounts,
although about half are probably dormant. I would like to move those
accounts and associated data to a new computer running Ubuntu 13.04. The
users as a rule do not store very much  on the computer since they use it
primarily for browsing the web and email.

What is the easiest way to migrate these accounts to the new computer. Is
there a wizard? The only thing I found seemed like it was no longer being
maintained. As a rule, I do not know the passwords for the individual
accounts. Can I just copy the home folder, etc/passwd, etc/shadow, etc. or
will I run into problems if I do not regenerate the uids and gids.

Thanks,
Eric