Rich Freeman on 26 May 2013 03:21:02 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Raspberry Pi NAS questions, cont'd

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 1:08 AM, Will <staticphantom@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would just say use a different device for the NAS like a cubie board or
> beagle bone black. The reason being is that the pi (and other ARM v6
> processors depending on the vendor) use the USB bus for the Ethernet
> controller.

This came up at the PLUG N Pi discussion.  That was the recommendation
there as well.

Honestly, I couldn't see implementing a NAS using any hardware which
didn't include:
1.  Gigabit ethernet.
2.  Multiple SATA/eSATA interfaces.

You could probably get away with less if it were just a backup server,
but you want a file server to be fast.

Rich