Adam Zion on 25 May 2013 18:30:43 -0700
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
[PLUG] Raspberry Pi NAS questions, cont'd
- From: Adam Zion <email@example.com>
- To: PLUG <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: [PLUG] Raspberry Pi NAS questions, cont'd
- Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 21:30:30 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=iGvZV+1l82XgBxRYd6L/s1axE/G2mJwHlNJdF8d+DI0=; b=fWhr+oJfyQO0IELGMk9i7g09wi5FTgjo4gZSY1CXJETSsEeDepBkcvB7rq1znBEo1c YaSAaRORwtrtPb0TocHKk4IR0hin6eqHW5juY65vO84UAZ1cZeIDeGBhpUNsL2DauiEU y9Foqm/bXr581nIuOJRlUBxFNZo1n2nkTvAFiMglSbjTO3v8CHNbnTwe8z4qgNsg2+r5 MkGECyPxmgdZKMASHri9OEf0ymDQKSK8UQNgrfXHsrxnCC1zCFPGj2Q+WFmrU/wVWEb5 XR7/nhRo0ruJv4JT0R6r+4LpnjIG/nY9Li/c6HF7TaUHWxw5oX18THbRXZ2/QWXBkEjg AI4A==
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
In case anyone's not familiar w/the idea of a Raspberry Pi NAS, it uses a very small- as in credit card sized- ARM PC running a Debian distro, plus 2 USB hard drives. You set up the shares via Samba, and then mirror them on a regular basis using rsync.
So, I've got 1/2 of the Raspberry Pi NAS set up. Specifically, I've got the shares working. Woo. Unfortunately, the rsync part isn't working. Not the command format- that's easy. The problem is w/the USB drives themselves. Both drives share the same USB 2.0 bus, and while that's faster than 1.0, it's hardly screaming. And, in this case, it appears that, when rsync (or cp) try to push too many bits across the bus, the Pi simply drops both connections and cancels the whole copy.
I've tried throttling the connection via the --bwlimit command, but even bringing it to 10 kb/s (which is ridiculously slow) causes the copy to bomb at times. Any ideas about how I could make the Raspbian/Pi/rsync combo work a bit better?
And, yes, I'm Googling this too...
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug