JP Vossen on 16 Jun 2013 00:40:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] XFS on CentOS-5.9

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 18:29:50 -0400
From: David Kuntz <davkntz@gmail.com>

I used XFS on Centos 5.x on a number of rather large filesystems at my last
shop. One was over 30TB on a storage server that got heavily utilized. It
was fast, stable, and the tools are great, so even when I did have an issue
it was a relatively quick fix as compared to attempting to fsck a large
ext3/4 filesystem.
Nothing ever really jumped up and bit me, over the course of four years or
so. XFS is an excellent filesystem, and in my experience, Just Works.

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 20:54:30 -0400
From: Austin Murphy <austin.murphy@gmail.com>

I have 2 ~30TB XFS filesystems on RHEL5.   I've been very impressed, but I
did come across one weird problem.

Apparently the achilles heel of XFS is lots of small files.

One of my XFS instances supports a job that creates tons of short log
files.  I've run into the condition where there are not enough of the right
kind of extents and I end up not being able to write anything to the
filesystem.

The way to prevent this is to periodically clean up poorly allocated
extents with "xfs_fsr".  You can run it from cron.  The catch is it can't
run it if you are in the problem condition.  In this case, you have to
manually move a bunch of files to a different filesystem and then move them
back.

Great news and awesome info, thanks!

Later,
JP