Gavin W. Burris on 17 Jun 2013 07:55:02 -0700

Re: [PLUG] XFS on CentOS-5.9

Hi JP,

I have multiple 100TB file systems in production.  I would strongly
recommend going 64-bit, because with such a large filesystem you are
likely to allocate large amounts of memory for a filesystem repair at
some point.  I actually have two 100GB swap partitions preconfigured for
this likelihood.  I believe the general rule is to have 2GB of memory
for every 1TB of filesystem, varying with your inode count.

I would recommend putting XFS on top of LVM, so that you can stripe
across multiple devices.  LVM will also allow you to grow the volume
when needed.

Another thing to look out for are subdirectory NFS shares.  You will be
unable to share a subdirectory of a large XFS filesystem.  Make sure you
are OK sharing and mounting the root of the target NFS filesystem,
otherwise it fails.  I believe this is a shortcoming in the current NFS
code, not being able to address subdirectory inodes past the 32-bit
range.

Cheers.

Gavin W. Burris
Senior Systems Programmer