Rich Freeman on 17 Jun 2013 17:15:59 -0700

Re: [PLUG] FreeNAS vs. Debian for my simple home NAS

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Russ Thompson <vigornj@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a native ZFS on Linux port as well as Btrfs but they're not quite
> production ready, IMO.  I'd love someone from PLUG to take the plunge and
> give some feedback on these though :)

I'd love feedback as well, but I'm not quite brave enough to run btrfs
on my box yet.  I checked and I have barely enough space to covert my
DVR partition over (I'd need to completely migrate off of one of my
raid5s to set up btrfs directly on the drives, which is the only way
that really makes sense).  RAID5 support for btrfs is pretty new, but
I believe it will support reshaping which is one of the things that
has kept me away from ZFS.

One of these days I'll switch.  I suspect it will be the next time I
upgrade my drives, but they're all 1TB drives so it will be a while
before new drives are substantially larger than that (not quite
desperate enough to swap them out for 3TB drives yet).