Paul W. Roach III on 18 Jul 2013 17:28:16 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Home automation

The 3m thermostats do have a published API.  I had documented it a good part of it (http://central.isaroach.com/wiki) but am getting ready to take it down and have a volunteer rehost it.

http://central.isaroach.com/thermostat

On Tuesday, July 16, 2013, Sam Gleske wrote:

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 6:58 AM, Michael Greb <michael@thegrebs.com> wrote:
 > On 07/15/13, Julien Vehent<julien@linuxwall.info> wrote:
> would work with Linux, and how.
> * I couldn't find good sensors for temperature and humidity. Anyone has
> good references for that?

If you want a traditional thermostat that also has an API, the
3M-Filtrete 3M-30 and 3M-50 (corresponding to the Radio Thermostat
Company of America CT-30 and CT-50) has a nice REST API with json

They run ~$100 for the *-30 and ~$200 for the *-50.  Main difference
being humidity sensors on the -50 and a section of alphanumeric
display on the LCD you can set via the API.

I have the -30 and most of my integration so far has just been data
collection.  Occasionaly I change the setpoint via the iOS or Android
app.  When I get around to it, I want to add auto-away mode based on
the security system and other such sexiness.

<https://twitter.com/mikegrbs_house> My house on Twitter with a daily
tweet of thermostat info.
<http://thegrebs.com/~michael/thermostat/> RRD graphs generated via
data collected from the thermostat's API.

--
Mike Greb

There seems to be something wrong with your exterior thermostat.  It's constantly saying 80F.

Also, does the *-30 have an API?  How does it connect to the network?  The *-50 after some research is the only model with a wifi module.

SAM