Julien Vehent on 21 Jul 2013 20:30:56 -0700

Re: [PLUG] /. Home Automation Kit...

On 2013-07-20 17:06, JP Vossen wrote:
Topical:

"Home Automation Kit Includes Arduino, RasPi Dev Boards"

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/13/07/19/2058232/home-automation-kit-includes-arduino-raspi-dev-boards

Thanks JP for forwarding this! Most interesting.

So, I've been reading all of the answers to my initial question (thank you all, by the way :)) and there's one thing I don't get: all these companies are building potentially innovative home automation tools, that requires me to log into their infrastructure to change stuff in my home.

What's the added value of that? Why can't I just log into my thermostat directly and change stuff?

I don't mind writing the code, as long as there's a spec to follow. I just don't want to sent all my home automation data to mynewcoolcompanyonkickstater.com

Makes sense? Any solution would fit that model?

Thanks,
Julien