Gary Duzan on 22 Jul 2013 02:22:21 -0700

Re: [PLUG] /. Home Automation Kit...

In Message <28cd019e15cbc68752cf8271bca974f2@linuxwall.info>,
   Julien Vehent <julien@linuxwall.info>wrote:

=>On 2013-07-20 17:06, JP Vossen wrote:
=>> Topical:
=>>
=>> "Home Automation Kit Includes Arduino, RasPi Dev Boards"
=>>
=>>
=>> http://linux.slashdot.org/story/13/07/19/2058232/home-automation-kit-includes-arduino-raspi-dev-boards
=>>
=>
=>Thanks JP for forwarding this! Most interesting.
=>
=>So, I've been reading all of the answers to my initial question (thank you
=>all, by the way :)) and there's one thing I don't get: all these companies
=>are building potentially innovative home automation tools, that requires me
=>to log into their infrastructure to change stuff in my home.
=>
=>What's the added value of that? Why can't I just log into my thermostat
=>directly and change stuff?

   NAT makes it difficult at best to access a device on a home
network without a service on the real Internet for it to connect
to. If IPv6 were more widely available, that problem would go away
(replaced with other challenges, like security, but managable),
but there is little incentive for providers to move in that direction,
so it isn't likely to happen soon.

					Gary Duzan