Paul L. Snyder on 26 Jul 2013 11:45:18 -0700

[PLUG] [plug-announce] Fosscon 2013

----- Forwarded message from Jonathan Simpson <jonathand@fossevents.org> -----

Well folks, it's almost that time of year again! We are just a 14
days away from this years Fosscon!  Fosscon 2013 will be held on
August 10th, 2013.  We have had so many submissions this year for
talks and workshops, that we are excited to bring you a wide
variety of topics ranging from hobbyist level to professional
implementation talks.

We are very excited about this year's keynote speaker, Philadelphia's
own Jordan Miller, who leads a research team at The University of
Pennsylvania. Jordan makes heavy use of open source software and is
doing amazing work with 3D printing as it pertains to transplant
organs.

http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/news/penn-researchers-improve-living-tissues-3d-printed-vascular-networks-made-sugar

He was recently nominated as Philadelphia's scientist of the year
in the Philly geek awards http://www.phillygeekawards.com/.

For a full schedule, check out http://fosscon.org/speakers/
Listed below is a just a quick peek at some of our confirmed speakers
and their topics:

Bhavani Shankar will be speaking on how to bring in new developers to
open source projects.

Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph will be speaking on Open Source Systems
Administration.

Corey Quinn will be speaking on configuration management with Salt.

Brent Saner will be speaking on Project.Phree, a wireless mesh
project.

Dru Lavigne will be speaking on FreeNAS 9.1.

Jérôme Jacovella-St-Louis will be speaking on cross-platform
development with the Ecere SDK.

John Ashmead will be speaking on the math and science of invisibility.

John Stumpo will be offering a workshop on the Challenges facing FOSS
game projects.

Walt Mankowski will be speaking on Scientific Programming with NumPy
and SciPy.

Chris Nehren will be speaking on bridging the gap between development
and operations.

Christina Simmons will be speaking on starting and managing open
source events/projects.

Hector Castro will be offering a hands-on workshop on the Riak
database engine.

Dan Langille will be offering a workshop on Bacula: The Networked
Backup Open Source Solution

With a total of 12 talks and 10 workshops, we have more content
than ever before. In addition to these talks, check out our
exhibition area with lots of projects and sponsors, our
Hackerspace room run by Philly hackerspace Hive76, and our
installfest. We'll also be having a drinkup courtesy of GitHub
Saturday night!

If you haven't registered yet, please do so here:
https://www.wepay.com/events/fosscon-2013! We've had such an
awesome response so far and are so excited to see how far we can
go this year!  Invite your friends, your partners, your business
associates, and everyone else you know! We'll see you soon!

----- End forwarded message -----