Andrew Libby on 12 Aug 2013 19:08:51 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Offline Backup Solutions

Hi Rich,

I've been using BackupPC for probably 5-6 years and it does
okay.  We don't have a super big setup, rather a number of
small setups (dozen systems, few TB of storage).

We've used it on external USB drives (though ones we
don't remove), as well as on dedicated backup systems
on both Linux and Nexenta.

It's not nearly as sophisticated as Bacula but it's pretty
easy to setup, uses familiar tools like ssh and rsync,
is written in Perl.  All stuff systems people love.

On Ubunutu systems it pretty much just works.  We simply
Create a backuppc user on new systems, allow the backuppc
user to sudo rsync, and drop the appropriate pub key in
the backuppc authorized keys file and a client is good
to go.

For small to mid size backup needs it's good stuff.

I can share more about it's strengths and weaknesses if
folks are interested.

Andy

Andrew Libby
xforty technologies