Carl Johnson on 30 Aug 2013 07:53:39 -0700
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
- From: Carl Johnson <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- To: PLUG <email@example.com>
- Subject: [PLUG] tar/pigz question
- Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 10:52:52 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to:content-type; bh=rbMn4RFEVBCye2kUv/ZOzNxgp16t0EMwBExPA2nrAas=; b=HX9OBaodIuDbF2qdiWpTUETzJaK3WR8WX6pbiJBejl8hTb8X/9bVrHwdeF7HXzNNnS nEA/zd0c2c7MDkZG6TH8I7eUofW/3V2cUlf4PIs/t8XOquI5cqyCjrIatlFqlOr3+2xT x+G+hIqD+HHN45cy3v96hCjPkWbaGHCwCZc8619tz5JIVW3BoCL+PODUsq8nWj2R7/wr Zxt/FNtKi+AwxmoFq2rayl/0lUq0rfzlOU7u5BAPGwAkC+p8z9ZWxGmYgFkGzZy1oZ8K vrHXfoW98etVDHatCFmx2OdpRPAe/5EvsBoG2kXt2HBpB54Tjqym6oh8IyhruUc3zgjc Czcg==
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: email@example.com
Along the lines of yesterday's tar discussion, I have been working on diffusing a.... err ummm....I mean... (ahem). I've been working on a backup routine for a few days now. I have an issue with a part of this routine that I'm not sure how to resolve. Here's what I'm doing......
/bin/tar -c -v --use-compress-program=pigz /mnt/drive_z/ | /usr/bin/pigz > /mnt/backupLUN09_SAN/file-server-backup--`date +%m_%d_%y`--.tar.gz
So far I've that command. That'll pack up things in /mnt/drive_z/ and send 'em over to my SAN at /mnt/backupLUN09_SAN/ right? If I got that right, great; progress. Problem is though, I'd like to generate a list of everything tar is packing up for me. I've considered using "| packing-list-filename.txt>" and ">> packing-list-filename.txt>" but they didn't do what I wanted. So PLUG, my question is... how do I do it? Do I pipe to "tee" instead? Do I " >
2&1 > packing-list-filename.txt? Help me out here.....
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug