Eric at Lucii.org on 23 Nov 2013 10:33:46 -0800

[PLUG] Domain Registrar recommendations - revisited

I just got a renewal notice from GoDaddy (yeah, I know) for two domains.

.net    $ 16.99/year
.org    $ 17.99/year

At those prices I'm thinking of a different registrar.  Well, that and:

   I can call them and they'll back off on the price to keep me as a
      customer but why don't they just give me a fair price up front?

   I had to spend half and hour on their site to find and disable
      the auto-renew settings.

   They supported SOPA.

   They used to (and still might) delay domain transfers for an unreasonably
      long time.

   Their web site is a minimum of useful information embedded in a
      confusing blizzard of "trick" offers for things I don't need|want.

I searched the email archives and found these (approximate) counts from 2008,
2010 & 2012:

  Registrar               Recommendations
 ----------------------- ----------------
  NearlyFreeSpeech.com    2 (or more?)
  NameCheap.com           2 (or more?)
  Gandi.net               2
  1and1.com               1  (I currently have 2 or 3 domains here)
  ZoneEdit.com            1
  Name.com                1
  LuckyRegister.com       1

Any new thoughts and/or experiences?
By the way, the site nodaddy.com is gone - godaddy bought it out!
I have to wonder how much *that* cost them.

Eric
--
#  Eric Lucas
#