Kevin McAllister on 8 Jan 2014 19:34:34 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Backlog in Redmine?

On Jan 8, 2014, at 4:52 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:

> Short version:  How have folks implemented a work "backlog" in Redmine or similar project management tools (like Jira, I assume)?

I don't know anything about Redmine.  But with some other tools like Jira and Fogbugz it's possible to setup sprints or releases or versions. And I usually would setup a backlog version/release.  And just pile everything in there, and then move it to a new one when planning a development iteration.  Or simply don't associate it with a version/release and it didn't show up in the filtered view where I was just looking at the current version.

The worst part about backlogs is their tendency to build up cruft (wishes that everyone knows will never be worked on but are politically unable to be deleted) makes iteration planning difficult as you wade through the mess.  Maybe you could have another version/release you call "Premium" or "SUPER IMPORTANT!!" and put all the dead issues in there to keep them out of the way of real work, but satisfy the political need to keep them around forever.  I never tried that but it might be worth a shot.