tom . hornberger on 12 Jan 2014 06:33:17 -0800

Re: [PLUG] I2C Bus Length

According to Google,  the max distance is ~9 - 12Ft.  I'd be kind of skeptical that you could get that reliably.  You also need to provide +5V to the sensor and sending that through 12 ft of cable isn't the easiest thing to do.  You might want to look at Maxim (formerly Dallas) 1-Wire devices.  These devices are supported on the Pi (& tons of other platforms).   I have a Hobby-Boards Humidity/Temp sensor I want to hook up as an outdoor sensor.  1-Wire can run on Cat5.  Check out the Weathertoys website (www.weathertoys.net) for more info on 1-wire in general and weather apps specifically.

HTH,
Tom