JP Vossen on 22 Jan 2014 11:38:22 -0800

Re: [PLUG] network service errors

On 01/22/2014 12:33 PM, Carl Johnson wrote:
Whenever I do anything with the network service on this centos 6.5 box I
get....

"./network-functions: line 155: is_false: command not found"

So something's wrong with network-functions I guess? Or would it be the
init script that references it?

This stems from me trying to figure out why the nfs mounts that I've
specified in fstab that SHOULD be mounted on boot, don't work. They do
however work with "mount -a". Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Is the the same box as the VBox issues? I'm starting to suspect some other systemic problem, because init scripts from the package system should Just Work. Since that seems not to be the case, I'm wondering what else is going on. Have you installed stuff from source, or not "stock" repos or something? That way lies madness and pain...or learning a lot about t-shooting and debugging... And I'll preempt Rich and say that either way, you should consider Gentoo... ;-)

That said, all the advice from the last issue holds true here too. On my drop-dead stock CentOS-6.5 VM:

[root@centos-6:T0:L1:C79:J0:2014-01-22_14:11:41_EST]
/root# grep -R 'is_false' /etc/*
/etc/init.d/functions:is_false() {
/etc/rc.d/init.d/functions:is_false() {
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network-functions: ! is_false $NM_CONTROLLED && is_nm_running && USE_NM=true

Note: '/etc/init.d/' is a symlink to '/etc/rc.d/init.d/' so that 'functions' file is the same...

So the function exists, but isn't being sourced ('help source' or 'help .', think #INCLUDE) for some reason.

### Yup, it's there...
[root@centos-6:T0:L1:C83:J0:2014-01-22_14:16:37_EST]
/root# cat -n /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network-functions | grep 'is_false'
   155      ! is_false $NM_CONTROLLED && is_nm_running && USE_NM=true

### Add maybe being sourced...  (help test | grep -- '-z')
[root@centos-6:T0:L1:C84:J0:2014-01-22_14:18:19_EST]
/root# cat -n /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network-functions | grep '/functions'
    10  [ -z "$__sed_discard_ignored_files" ] && . /etc/init.d/functions

### More context...
[root@centos-6:T0:L1:C88:J0:2014-01-22_14:19:49_EST]
/root# cat -n /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network-functions | head
     1  # -*-Shell-script-*-
     2  #
3 # This file is not a stand-alone shell script; it provides functions
     4  # to network scripts that source it.
     5
     6  # Set up a default search path.
     7  PATH="/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin"
     8  export PATH
     9
    10  [ -z "$__sed_discard_ignored_files" ] && . /etc/init.d/functions

### This is fundamental
[root@centos-6:T0:L1:C96:J0:2014-01-22_14:28:42_EST]
/root# rpm -q --whatprovides /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network-functions
initscripts-9.03.40-2.el6.centos.x86_64

Hope this is useful,
JP