Rich Freeman on 18 Feb 2014 04:51:24 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Uses for a Beowulf Cluster?

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 8:59 PM, Carl Johnson
<cjohnson19791979@gmail.com> wrote:
> At the bottom there's some performance data. That might give you an idea
> where they're at in relation to an older Xeon.

Uh, it looks like the $2k 32-node Pi is about 1/5th the performance of
a 4-core i7.  I'm not sure that an i7 is ideal on the
price/performance curve either.

Maybe the Pi cluster would beat it on performance per unit of
power/heat.  You could certainly build an i7 system for a lot less
than the $1400 that 32 pis would cost.  It would be a single node,
which means you don't have to deal with all the problems of clustering
either.

Doesn't the Pi stick the ethernet port on USB as well?  How does that
affect clustering?  That is probably adding bandwidth limitations to
something that is already likely to be bandwidth-constrained.  Also,
I'm not sure how much CPU the ethernet ends up robbing compared to a
more traditional controller.

Rich