Casey Bralla on 18 Feb 2014 05:24:29 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Uses for a Beowulf Cluster?

> > So for no particular reason, I was thinking of setting up a beowulf
> > cluster
> > (probably virtually at first, then perhaps using Raspberry Pi's)
> >

> Wouldn't you need to cluster quite a few Raspberry Pis to match the
> performance of a single garden-variety standard computer these days?

My desire to build a beowulf cluster has absolutely nothing to do with
anything as mundane as a practical application.  Heck, if I was interested in
doing practical stuff, I'd spend my hours on a part-time job instead of sitting
at this screen tapping away blissfully.

I'm curious to learn how clusters work, what they can do, and to dream of
actually having a supercomputer.  It's the "existential pleasures of
engineering" that I want, not some stoopid practical application.

--

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence
The NerdWorld Organisation