Rich Freeman on 18 Feb 2014 07:03:15 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Uses for a Beowulf Cluster?

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 8:24 AM, Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:

> I'm curious to learn how clusters work, what they can do, and to dream of
> actually having a supercomputer.  It's the "existential pleasures of
> engineering" that I want, not some stoopid practical application.

Well, for that it would certainly work, though you could probably
accomplish the same thing with a herd of VMs if you were mostly
interested in the theoretical side of it.  If you wanted somewhat more
horsepower you could run them on EC2, though that would obviously get
more expensive fast.

But, there is nothing wrong with doing things for fun!

Rich