Rich Freeman on 23 Feb 2014 16:19:14 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Upload & Append Data to a Server

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 6:02 PM, Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:
> I've got SFTP access to both machines, and can run a python script to handle
> the uploads.  What I'd really like is a sftp "append" option, but that doesn't
> seem to exist.
>
> The data file isn't huge,  so I could theoretically download it, append it,
> then upload it again, but yech, what a cludge that would be!

I'm not sure if you can operate sftp in an append mode.  If you can
any of the standard tools would probably only support it if you kept
all the old data local and appended to it, and then uploaded the
entire file (and the program would then only upload the part at the
end).  Rsync would be a much better tool for this, but I don't think
it can intelligently do partial transfers without local shell access
or an rsync server.

The usual way of handling this sort of thing is to dump each update
into a separate file (either random names or timestamped), and upload
them to wherever they're going, and then have something intelligent on
the other side parse them.

Rich