Rich Freeman on 4 Mar 2014 18:26:33 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Using IPv6 with dynamic endpoints

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 7:25 PM, Maguires <losmaguires@gmail.com> wrote:
> The suggestions from Gary about using either of those 2 free brokers would
> be where I'd start,though SixX is the only one using Heartbeat. I'm sure
> Hurricane has some method of handling dynamic addressing.

I'm mainly interested in options that don't involve a tunnel.  My goal
isn't actually to get IPv6 connectivity, but to learn the fundamentals
of IPv6.  I don't really care about a fancy client app that just
solves the problem, since that isn't actually my problem.

Ultimately my goal is to have an IPv6 gateway on one box (which
doesn't run linux or any software that I can control), and DNS on
another box, and have it just work.  Actually, I guess another
question is how firewall rules work if all your client IPs change
every time the ISP's assigned dynamic IP changes.

I guess worst-case I can just use NAT, though I'm not sure if the
FIOS-supplied gateways actually support NAT for IPv6.

Rich