JP Vossen on 29 Mar 2014 12:39:14 -0700

Re: [PLUG] MySQL 3

On 03/29/2014 10:10 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
I just came across some MySQL .frm .ISM .ISD files from circa 2000.
I'd like to load them up and produce a dump that I can load into a
modern version of MySQL to explore.

I believe, based on a little Googling, that MySQL 3.23.x would be the
way to go.  But I don't have a machine or OS from that era, and I
pretty much assume it would not be worth the effort to get it to
compile on a modern platform.  I'm guessing loading up an old distro
that includes it would be easier.

Any suggestions for how to get a MySQL 3.23 environment up and
running?  It would be especially helpful if there was a LiveCD or
something I could install easily into a VM.  All I need is five
minutes of MySQL 3.23 to put my files in place and run a dump.  (It's
a small database, so speed or capacity is not a concern.)

1. Go to http://vault.centos.org/3.9/isos/i386/, download at least (and probably only) disk1, boot it into a VM, install a minimal OS and the 'mysql' RPM. Now that I look, I bet http://vault.centos.org/3.9/isos/i386/CentOS-3.9-server-i386.iso would Just Work!

2. I fired up a VM with CentOS-3.8 running CentOS-5.6's mysql-3.23.58-16.RHEL3.1.i386.rpm (latest ISO I already had). I have not done anything with it, but I'll guess it'll work. Since you presumably need root I can create a throw-away clone and give you access, but I'd need to sort out how to isolate it from my environment. If it was physical I'd DMZ it, but since it's a VM I'd need to figure out the VMware Workstation 8.x network/capabilities to do that, then fuss with firewall rules. Probably possible, but not sure when I could get to it. (Likely within 0-3 days, but...)

Let me know if we need to figure out #2, but let us know how it turns out,
JP