Maguires on 30 Mar 2014 14:06:30 -0700
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
Re: [PLUG] Ultrabook for Linux Recommendations?
- From: Maguires <email@example.com>
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: [PLUG] Ultrabook for Linux Recommendations?
- Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 17:06:02 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to:content-type; bh=Y/Mwtpb3zWLRzhtZTBR6r4fDk+ayAsPLKf+9J61Wrmw=; b=TSLSo1ChvrRz/rAA5FrMeIEk5VL7Alsf0pInkneZRF5wQih2mgpjrexqycZOr8VNUc Hs9P+s0xqY/ALt+g5hrvc8ct9inz6zHhUI2wLgDCQNX9RUkg0Gh2IK90THgSyFZ8mBvB dBesBS4BwHEoZd+nglnu1/BZBCSHpQO9LFvC8oQY0ZEaOP2BSbUY8JUVbiXCxg43GDEo WS1LheX7g48Wk8zPCVekIDQGXKjRB5xrotQjywf/xJwGSmV5kHaZA3bCgSS+1frenWpY hBuIDG0Ye4NnvSmGu/L4wAQPU/OesXdtIiLs6RlqFhc7+B8s4FzXmmt7F9QbvIbq6w1n IycA==
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <email@example.com>
- Sender: "plug" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
I've got a Acer s5, Linux runs like a rocket on it. You have to set the mSATA controller to AHCI in the BIOS
and the the 2 SSD drives are running in RAID 0 as one drive. I've ordered a mSATA 1 TB SSD for it.
There is a small display issue
with the Intel HD 4000 graphics in the kernel prior to 3.7.
The resolution if
your using a kernel earlier than 3.7 is to put the laptop to sleep and then wake it back up.
I'm currently using it for my road warrior laptop its great. Current pricing is $1,249.00
Amazon is selling it for $689.99
I got mine as a CES demo unit about 3 months after I got back home for $550 as it was a Demo unit from Acer, through the rep I spoke to
when I was @ CES for the roll out.Its smaller and lighter than a Macbook Air almost an I7 and and was no where the price of the air.
Acer S5 basic spec.s
Laptop type Ultra-portable
Weight 2.65 pounds
(installed) Windows 7/8/8.1
Screen size (diag.) 13.3 inches
CPU brand Intel
CPU family Ivy Bridge
Graphics type Integrated GPU HD Graphics 4000
Battery life 4 hours and 24 minutes
The things I wish were different are, could use a lighted keyboard, SSD drive could be bigger,
1080p graphics and a bigger power switch,otherwise I love this thing.
I would like to try Linux on the S7 model as most of the changes have been incorporated in that model.
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug