Casey Bralla on 18 Apr 2014 09:13:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] two window managers

On Friday 2014-04-18 10:08:09 AM Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Carl Johnson
>

> A lot of X11 makes more sense if you understand the history behind it all.

That would make it an infinite percentage increase in my understanding of X
(from zero, any increase is infinite!  <grin>)

> That makes me wonder if a fundamentals of X11 talk might be useful at
> PLUG.  Sort of a ditch Gnome/etc and start from the ground up sort of
> thing.  Understanding DISPLAY, xauth, the client/server model, the
> typical major clients like display managers, session managers,
> launchers, etc, maybe even things like geometry/xrandr/drm/etc.

Rich, I'd love to see such a presentation.   I consider myself reasonably
savvy about computers and X, but there is so much evolutionary garbage left in
X, it is all but incomprehensible.

I hope the guys working on Wayland can come up with something great.

--

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence
The NerdWorld Organisation