Gavin W. Burris on 18 Apr 2014 07:57:28 -0700

Re: [PLUG] two window managers

Hi, All.

I am using startx from a consle, no login manager.  That uses
the ~/.xsession script.

In CentOS 6, you can also use the graphical display manager.  You must
first yum install xorg-x11-xinit-session xorg-x11-xinit and then you
will get an extra menu at the bottom of the login screen after choosing
the username.  It should have "Gnome" or "User script" as the options
then.  Make sure to:  chmod +x ~/.xsession

Cheers.

On Fri 04/18/14 09:50AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Gavin W. Burris <bug@wharton.upenn.edu> wrote:
> > Watch out.  On different distributions you will alternately use
> > ~/.xinitrc OR ~/.xsession as a user X startup script.  I know Fedora /
> > Red Hat / CentOS use ~/.xsession for this.
>
> This is what I was talking about regarding the confusing set of config
> files for X11/etc.
>
> My understanding is that xinitrc should always be used with startx,
> and xsession should always be used with a display manager.  I was
> under the impression that there was no display manager involved in
> this case.
>
> Gavin - are you using a display manager?  That is, when you start up
> your system, does X11 show up and give you a login screen in X11, or
> do you just get a text console, log in using *getty, and then run
> startx?
>
> Most desktop-oriented distros use a display manager, and they will
> completely ignore your xinitrc as a result (well, unless you switch to
> a text console and launch X again via startx so that you have two
> displays running).  However, if you're using a display manager it
> might be easier to get it to just launch twm - there may just be a
> setting to allow this, or even some cross-distro FreeDesktop way of
> doing it.
>
> Rich

Gavin W. Burris
Senior Project Leader for Research Computing
The Wharton School
University of Pennsylvania