Kevin McAllister on 26 Apr 2014 17:02:02 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux for Mac

On 25 Apr 2014, at 18:54, Walt Mankowski wrote:

Homebrew is the new kid on the block.  I've never used it, but it
seems closer to the macports way of doing things.

Just wanted to add, I use Homebrew http://brew.sh and like it much better than the other two. I've definitely had problems with the other two, not so much with that. Also if you are going to be doing Ruby stuff on there I recommend using something like RVM https://rvm.io to manage it because Maverick's ships with Ruby 2.0, but I don't like mingling custom gems with their stuff only to have it get clobbered in an update.

You'll also need to download the Apple Dev tools to use that because their dev tools come with their compiler, etc. I think you can download the command line tools independently, but just grabbing and running XCode free through the App Store and telling it to put in the command line tools does this too.

Oh, I hate Parallels. VMWare is better. I don't use either as VirtualBox is adequate for most of my needs.

I say go for the Macbook Pro Retina if they'll get it for you. Because it's a beautiful display, and the Air's portability is not that much better than the Macbook Pro. Also it has two Thunderbolt ports, and if you want to plug in a monitor and a thunderbolt ethernet adaptor you can. Also it has an HDMI port too, so if you want to save your thunderbolts for something else you can and still display on something else.

Of course, you'll have the gorgeous screen, so just look at that.

Sorry, I probably could have interleaved all the comments like a gentleman, but I only thought I had one thing to say.