Greg Helledy on 30 Apr 2014 12:17:42 -0700
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
Re: [PLUG] Free Wi-Fi issues
- From: Greg Helledy <email@example.com>
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: [PLUG] Free Wi-Fi issues
- Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 15:17:44 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=simple; d=gra-inc.com; s=MDaemon; t=1398885428; x=1399490228; q=dns/txt; h=Received: Message-ID:Date:From:Organization:User-Agent:MIME-Version:To: Subject:References:In-Reply-To:Content-Type: Content-Transfer-Encoding; bh=qvBXOJY8m7cgWeaMcWbLupdNhTGxWUyscy OK7RKgKVc=; b=UGTDFv+BkaJUcoc1P/WW4hEG58a1UX7LdkfATMhf65de7bOmtJ W2uXXPSo6N1D/BgNrzbCzSrWQ2aSrxofiNlnZ+UQhu/cr8i18rl3xwilU+miP59Z 0f66lYyI5rHA9rKGAMCb/WM0kWrx6c6tnfiUR+3bTh6Ria7bCnyTSJswo=
- Organization: GRA, Incorporated
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <email@example.com>
- Sender: "plug" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/24.5.0
Realistically, the costs would be rolled into the property tax, as are
the other municipal services that are provided "free": street lighting
and snowplowing, trash removal, and so on. So, expect to see higher
property taxes, and rents.
An interesting question is whether it's more cost-effective for
individuals to buy their own bandwidth, vs. a neighborhood contracting
for it and collecting via property taxes. Other questions come up when
the government is your ISP: will having direct access to internet use
logs (at least by MAC address) be used in police investigations?
Conversely, what will be done when illegal activity is found to be
conducted through free municipal wifi? Will anonymous (or
pseudononymous) connections lead to more illegal activity being conducted?
P: +1 215-884-7500
F: +1 215-884-1385
On 4/30/2014 3:00 PM, email@example.com wrote:
Interesting article but it boggles my mind how people can demand that
Internet Access be free. Someone has to foot the bill for the
infrastructure that brings WiFi to the masses. Who is getting that bill?
-- NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged
information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
viewing, copying of distribution of, or reliance on this message by
unintended recipients is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the
message and deleting it from your computer.
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug