Casey Bralla on 18 Jun 2014 18:26:05 -0700

[PLUG] OpenOffice vs LibreOffice

I've  been mostly using Libre Office, since it seems the more "active" project
and most of the distros seem to have anointed it as the heir to Star Office.

Recently at work, I needed to get MS Visio, which costs about $400 or so, and
our local IT guy (surprisingly) reacted positively when I mentioned OpenOffice
as an alternative.    So I downloaded LibreOffice "Draw" on my aging WinXP work
machine <sigh>.

Well, LibreOffice Draw has been HORRIBLE on XP.  It's buggy, crashes and does
strange, not nice things.  In desperation, I removed it and tried OpenOffice
Draw instead.  Magically, all the bugs seem to have disappeared (although I
haven't used it enough to see if there are different bugs).

Does anybody have any experience to compare the two?

I'm considering trying OpenOffice at home on Gentoo in lieu of LibreOffice, but
would appreciate any comments from this august and learned group first.

TIA!
--

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence