Christopher Wawak on 18 Jun 2014 19:03:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OpenOffice vs LibreOffice

Casey,

LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice both forked off of OpenOffice.org, though I believe LibreOffice may be developing a bit faster than OpenOffice. The base code for both suites are likely very similar, though I understand there are differences especially around font compatibility and Microsoft Office interoperability. My employer almost exclusively uses LibreOffice, and supports quite a bit of development in the LibreOffice project. I'd be surprised if interacting with the folks working on the project wouldn't get you a more stable application.

You mentioned that you hit crashes, bugs, and other not nice things. Did you see if there were bugs filed on the LibreOffice bugzilla [1]? The LibreOffice team would be very interested to hear what problems you ran into, and as part of the community of LibreOffice users, you're well poised to help fix these problems by reporting issues. If you need help reporting a bug, you can try the LibreOffice Bug Submission Assistant [2]. If you need more help understanding how to navigate getting your bug worked on, I'd be more than happy to provide advice as much as I can.

Would you be willing to elaborate more on the problems you ran into, and see if you can't find bugs for those problems on the LibreOffice bugzilla?

Chris

[1] https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=LibreOffice&content=
[2] https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bug/