Greg Helledy on 20 Jun 2014 10:48:24 -0700

[PLUG] OpenOffice vs LibreOffice

I installed OpenOffice 4.0 on the family PC at home (Win 7). I haven't used Draw, only the word processor and spreadsheet applications. In those, I haven't noticed any bugs, and the kids haven't mentioned anything either.

It can read the Office 2007 file formats (e.g. .docx) but does not save in them (only the older .doc). So far this hasn't been a problem, but eventually it will be. Some people have to operate in an MS ecosystem.

The LibreOffice page on wikipedia makes it sound as if it does support writing .docx, without explicitly saying so.

--
Greg Helledy
GRA, Incorporated