Rich Freeman on 21 Jun 2014 11:25:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] How much swap do you need?

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM, Keith C. Perry
<kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:

> Also, I'm not sure if others are seeing this but on this same 2Gb
> system, my Slackware system is a much better performer than my Kubuntu
> system.  On my Slackware system I compile most everything including
> the kernel whereas on Kubuntu or other more package based systems (I
> usually don't use available Slackware package unless I have major
> problems compiling) I just use what's in the repositories.  Until
> recent versions of VirtualBox, doing vm work on my Kubuntu partition
> was a no go- too many issues swapping when oversubscribed.  Yet, on
> Slackware, which is a much old build, I had few issue if any.  For
> recording, it wasn't until I compiled ffmpeg and the components I need
> that I was able to produce anything viable (i.e. a decent framerate
> that didn't lose a/v sync)

If you're running Slackware and compiling most of the packages anyway,
you should probably just run Gentoo.  That's basically the whole
reason that it exists.  Or if you want something a bit more
binary-oriented with the ability to fallback to source try Sabayon.

The main downside of Gentoo is that you spend a fair bit of time
compiling (though I configure it to compile at night and then let me
merge the packages later), but you're already doing that.  The upside
is that it is designed for this so it makes it a lot easier to
configure how packages are built and you can mix and match
dependencies since nothing is linked against a particular SONAME.

Rich