jeff on 24 Aug 2014 18:57:37 -0700

[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Finding a good doctor for RSI / CTS

On 08/24/2014 09:35 PM, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
Some members of this list likely have had issues with repetitive stress
injuries / carpal tunnel syndrome.  How would one go about finding a
doctor for RSI / CTS (family practitioner / occupational specialist /
pain management specialist: I'm not sure who exactly treats such
conditions non-surgically; once surgery is determined to be the right
course of action, I presume an orthopedist is the right specialization).

When I had some trouble, I went to a hand surgeon. Turned out is was a more generic problem.

I met a guy called Dr Steve Cash (no, really), who is a hand surgeon. Nice guy, in Bala-ish, but I can't speak to his medical manner. Sports medicine might be another place to look.

My chiropractor suggested a 2-3" ace bandage, wrapped around the arm, just below the elbow (not too tight). I kept it on for a few days and the pain went away. Can't hurt.

Obviously anti-inflammatories will help to some degree (ibuprofen or naproxen-Alleve)-do not take on an empty stomach. Continuing typing the same way will only hurt.


On a related note, the ideal way to work is to set things up ergonomically. Some RSI comes from hyper extending the wrist. Ideally your elbows should be bent at a 90 degree angle. Your hands should be on top of the keyboard, with no flexing or reaching up or down with your wrists.

I like ergo keyboards (embarrassingly enough, the MS ergo keyboard). Might take a little getting used to but it's better for the wrists. There are other adjustable keyboards and different shaped mice. A trackball might help or an ergo mouse.


DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, psychiatrist, sanitation engineer or rock star (regrettably). Just a guy who cares about his wrists (and the wrists of others).

Philadelphia Linux Users Group         --
Announcements -
General Discussion  --