john boris on 29 Aug 2014 07:39:58 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [lopsa-tech] Network Issue and Printer Issue

First
Edward you are correct. That boils down to space.

On to Derek.

You are correct. Not to get into the politics of a Non Public High School but suffice it to say my question when I was told what they were doing was "What were you thinking?"

But the school is making an effort to get into the 21st century. I have learned over the 17 years in my present job with a school district that logic never enters into any decision. Where I am coaching that is paramount. They finally moved from a volunteer person doing the IT for the school to a formal person. Not at the school but at the central office. That person is overseeing the project. I asked to be involved as that is in my wheelhouse since I do that everyday at $WORK. But I was never asked. Even though I alerted them to what my intentions were for the office and wanted to speak to the program/project manager just so the equipment I would put in that office fit their scheme. Again no discussion which brings me to the point I am at.

I understand the ease that wireless brings but if the unit is not going to move anywhere and there is a drop already there why not use it. How long has the Cat5e standard been in use? Now there is Cat 6 (add the latest letter) and fiber. I guess we can have multiple discussions on wireless or wired. There are pros and cons for everything. The school is just over 50 years old. If they do this correctly there will end up having mounted projectors and smart boards in every class room. Are you going to start streaming video to the class rooms over the wireless network? I am not sure of the backbone as I did not see them running fiber to these access points. And having just gone through a $50 million construction of a new school that had to scale back $8 Million I saw where the cuts were. Access points and cameras. But they still had offices wired for the desktop and the projectors were also wired with Cat 6 from a fiber terminal closet.

I am sorry to rant.

As technology advances I see the landscape changing and when a large institution is planning for the future tough decisions have to be made and you have budget constraints. But again the word logic creeps back into my mind.

So Derek I agree that the person who did the survey of the school should have taken everything into consideration but again that is logic. Something I continually find lacking in a large amount of places in today's world.