Rich Freeman on 31 Aug 2014 07:51:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Image-based partial backup?

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 10:17 AM, Keith C. Perry
<kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:

> If your data is "moderately" compressible I would definitely try out
> ntfsclone with gzip to see how it does for you.

ntfsclone does not support excluding files.  I already have a working
clonezilla solution that already stores only the used blocks on ntfs and
already compresses it with gzip.  If I wanted to I believe I could tell
clonezilla to use ntfsclone to store the ntfs partition - it just isn't
the default tool (partclone apparently has a few extra features and the
clonezilla devs failed to get ntrfsclone upstream to accept patches).

> If you are trying to avoid the reinstall headache, I would still go
> with an image.  Using dd and gzip has the benefit of including the
> boot information along with data in one file.  It wouldn't be as small
> as the file above and it would take longer to run but you also don't
> have create a separate copy of the boot sectors (which in my case, I
> would be using dd for anyway).

Well, I already have clonezilla working, which gives me an image.  The
problem is that the image is way bigger than it needs to be.

> For what its worth, the way I address the run time issue is make sure
> the windows box system partition is just the system.

Partitioning the system into separate partitions for data to be imaged,
data to be backed up as files, and data that doesn't require backup
would solve the problem.  It just is a really messy approach that I'd
prefer to avoid as adjusting partition sizes is a real pain, especially on
windows.

--
Rich