Rich Freeman on 17 Sep 2014 12:54:37 -0700

Re: [PLUG] PLUG N 2014-09-15 follow-up

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 2:04 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:

> Fourth, someone, maybe Rohit(?), mentioned http://systemimager.org/ as
> as free software.  I'd somehow missed that and had been using
> Clonezilla, which can't resize partitions for a $WORK need.  Might be
> worth looking at for anyone interested in cloning tools.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll have to take a look at it.

> Fifth, we were talking about migrating svn to git.  Googling "migrate
> svn to git" gives you lots of info, and if the stock tools fail, ESR's
> http://www.catb.org/esr/reposurgeon/ will work, at a possible cost of a
> day or two to write the config file.  http://subgit.com/ also sounded
> neat but I've never used it.

Gentoo has been struggling with the need to do a cvs->git migration
for a while now, and there is another big push to get it done.  We're
using some scripts based on svn2git to do the job.  Our repository has
almost 800k commits (and that is after some scripts are done
consolidating things - cvs only does history on a per-file basis so
we're starting out with more than 3x that many).

That might be worth a short talk after we finally pull it off.  Most
of our issues aren't with the conversion itself (though that has had
its share of bugs/etc and validating the comparison has been a task of
its own).  There are a lot of social issues like what to do with
per-package changelogs in the future, a lot of back-end stuff like
scripts that prepare metadata and distribute our package repository,
and questions around process.  Gentoo has a reasonably high commit
rate to a single repository (150 commits/day on weekends) and that can
create challenges if you want to have a workflow where you do a git
pull, merge/rebase, then run QA scripts before doing a git push and
expecting that push to be a fast-forward.

A small project probably wouldn't have to deal with most of those
issues.  The one thing that we do have going for us is that we don't
use branching in cvs.

Oh, did I mention cvs keywords?  Those are the spawn of the devil.

It will definitely be worth it in the end when we get through it all,
though we do have our share of folks who are just really attached to
cvs.

--
Rich