John Kreno on 23 Sep 2014 18:31:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Router Projects and VPNs

I'm not sure if you've looked into Ubiquiti or Mikrotik, but they have some hardware that may satisfy your requirements. The hardware is also fairly reasonably priced, in the 80-150 dollar range.

 -John

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 8:17 PM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 7:25 PM, brent timothy saner
<brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/23/2014 04:15 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
>>
>> The VPN connects the router to the proxy over the internet, and the
>> proxy then forwards the traffic to wherever it is really going.
>
> Interesting, though I'd imagine that'd be incredibly bogged down.. if
> anything, I'd probably just run a VPN or, worst-case, the proxy traffic
> over the VPN, but we all have our desires I suppose. But a proxy over
> the VPN would let you run the VPN on OSI-L2.

I think we're talking past each other.  By proxy all I mean is the VPN
endpoint (which seems to be a common use of the term).  I'm not going
to run a VPN to some host that is going to use somethign like squid to
re-transmit my http gets or anything like that.  You could probably
call your gateway a proxy in that sense.

> Sure thing; I'll have to review and see what needs to be scrubbed.. feel
> free to grab me on IRC (root^2 on freenode) to remind me.

Sorry - I was just thanking you in general.  That said, I'm sure there
are many would would be interested in your configs.  I was running
shorewall quite a while ago.

I'll have to look into my options.  Obviously if I go with something
like openwrt I'll have to use the GUIs.  I have no concerns that I'll
be able to get everything working if I just use shorewall or set up my
own netfilter rules/etc.  I was more concerned that if I went the
route of using something like OpenWRT that I would not be able to have
this much control over my routing.

--
Rich

John Kreno

"Those who would sacrifice essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin