Rich Freeman on 23 Sep 2014 17:17:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Router Projects and VPNs

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 7:25 PM, brent timothy saner
<brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/23/2014 04:15 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
>>
>> The VPN connects the router to the proxy over the internet, and the
>> proxy then forwards the traffic to wherever it is really going.
>
> Interesting, though I'd imagine that'd be incredibly bogged down.. if
> anything, I'd probably just run a VPN or, worst-case, the proxy traffic
> over the VPN, but we all have our desires I suppose. But a proxy over
> the VPN would let you run the VPN on OSI-L2.

I think we're talking past each other.  By proxy all I mean is the VPN
endpoint (which seems to be a common use of the term).  I'm not going
to run a VPN to some host that is going to use somethign like squid to
re-transmit my http gets or anything like that.  You could probably
call your gateway a proxy in that sense.

> Sure thing; I'll have to review and see what needs to be scrubbed.. feel
> free to grab me on IRC (root^2 on freenode) to remind me.

Sorry - I was just thanking you in general.  That said, I'm sure there
are many would would be interested in your configs.  I was running
shorewall quite a while ago.

I'll have to look into my options.  Obviously if I go with something
like openwrt I'll have to use the GUIs.  I have no concerns that I'll
be able to get everything working if I just use shorewall or set up my
own netfilter rules/etc.  I was more concerned that if I went the
route of using something like OpenWRT that I would not be able to have
this much control over my routing.

--
Rich