Michel van der List on 23 Sep 2014 16:33:51 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Router Projects and VPNs

Well, I do tend to at least use my trusty USB-serial cable
(something along the lines of this:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/954) since most of
the consumer grade boxes have at least the serial pins
on the board (or you can quite easily solder them
on).

If you have that, generally it's pretty hard to brick them
since most have at least some sort of tftp functionality to
re-flash the firmware.

I've 'bricked' my rather old Netgear WNR3500L many
times, since it's just soooo easy to blow out the 32K of
memory it has for configuration (using dd-wrt), but
just restarting with the console cable gives you an
easy way to re-flash.

Most of the rather capable devices that can run
openWRT run in the $50-$80 range. Also, upgrading
openWRT is one simple command and it has never
failed for me.

But there's always vanilla I suppose for those who
do not care for chocolate!