Keith C. Perry on 27 Sep 2014 10:38:10 -0700

Re: [PLUG] 2 Nics, DHCP and no default gateway

That seems a bit strange unless there is a default gw assigned before the DHCP call.  Whenever I've done this, I've gotten both.

One caveat... in my case, until I made my bridge configuration permanent, my system would come up using the real nic interfaces.  When I manually switched them over, my script would first do a "ifconfig <interface name> 0.0.0.0".  That would clear the interface AND the anything related to that network such as the default route.

I'm assuming the IP assigned is on the same net so perhaps in whatever process is being executed, the default gateway is not being cleared because it's still a valid route.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Drew Lehman" <dlehman@digitatech.com>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2014 9:46:25 AM
Subject: [PLUG] 2 Nics, DHCP and no default gateway

No, not the latest video on YouTube.  I was talking with someone about
an issue he was having.  I have seen it before but never really tried to
figure out why it happens.

On a device with 2 or more nics, if the lan nic is not connected at boot
you can still get an IP later, it just ignore the default gateway.  If
you reboot and leave he connection up, it gets the IP and GW fine. I got
the impression that it is not a bug, but I'm not sure why it happens.