Keith C. Perry on 1 Oct 2014 10:05:40 -0700

Re: [PLUG] msmtp looks like it works.....

Rich,

I figured that might the case but I also wanted to be complete.  I'm sure Carl will let me know :D

Don't feel too wronged by Google though.  I've got a client on Gapps and we still had to make some changes a couple of months ago so that the scan-to-email on the printers would be accepted by Google.  They do make you jump through hoops but once its done its done.  Mail used to be one of the most miserable things to manage so I'm a fan of all the anti spam stuff around these days.  Especially for complete packages like Zimbra that make it easy to administer for those organizations that email and other communications infrastructure in house.

Question for you...  why do you do the bounce at all?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Freeman" <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 12:51:59 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] msmtp looks like it works.....

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Keith C. Perry
<kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:
> That's not the entire protocol capture- or if it is something is wrong.
> There should be a greeting from the receiver after the connection SYN-ACK,
> then the sender issues the HELO command.  There should be  a "MAIL FROM"
> and then a "RCPT TO" command issued:

I suspect that this was just trimmed out to avoid spam/etc.

I've seen this sort of thing a lot more lately.  In the cause of
getting rid of spam the RFCs have become just about worthless.

Servers should either reject email, or accept and deliver it.  If a
server accepts mail, and later can't deliver it, then it is
responsible for bouncing it.

The problem is that because of all the abuses of spammers, we now have
servers that happily accept mail and then toss it, and you can never
really be sure if anything is getting delivered anywhere.

I used to bounce all my email to my gmail account, but stuff like dkim
has made that impossible now - Google rejects my mail since I'm
sending "on behalf" of unauthorized domains.  I've since switched to
unencrypted POP3 (since Google doesn't support encrypted POP3 without
a certificate they trust), and sending outgoing email via Amazon.

Bottom line - email providers are more than happy to lie to you about
accepting your mail.  As with many spam remedies - the cure seems
almost as bad as the disease.

--
Rich