Rich Freeman on 23 Oct 2014 17:22:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Real (driverless) hardware RAID controller for PC?

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 2:00 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> On 10/23/2014 12:09 PM, Greg Helledy wrote:
>> This is very helpful.  I have two more questions:
>>
>> 1. There are many motherboards that advertise themselves as offering
>> onboard RAID.  My understanding is that these are essentially a built-in
>> "fake raid" controller, in that they still offload work to the OS and
>> therefore require a driver.  Is that correct?
>
> Probably.  Doesn't matter as long as you can turn that fake RAID off and
> just use it as a bunch of SATA ports.  As everyone else said, avoid
> hardware RAID and use software, *especially* for RAID1.

Correct, many low-end cards have some kind of RAID option.  Don't
enable it in the firmware, just let it expose a bunch of SATA ports
and do everything in linux.  That gives you the most flexibility - as
long as you can attach all the drives to a PC running linux, you can
reassemble the array.

--
Rich