Austin Murphy on 24 Oct 2014 06:05:22 -0700

Re: [PLUG] HTML 2 PDF converter?

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 4:23 PM, K.S. Bhaskar <bhaskar@bhaskars.com> wrote:
I wonder where the magic happens when a browser prints as a file a web page it is displaying…

I believe the magic is in the rendering of HTML to something visual.

There is a big difference between:
 HTML: this is a header, this is a paragraph, this is a table...
and
 PDF: there is a sheet of (virtual) paper with these dimensions, and at these coordinates there is this text and between these points there is a line of this width...

Gecko, WebKit, etc. are all non-trivial.  Once you have a page can be printed, it is easy to convert between formats.

Austin