Keith C. Perry on 24 Oct 2014 15:20:51 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Anyone hear of ello wanting to be a "Benefit Corp"?

Hey Joe, interesting paper...

Some years ago before gold prices started dropping there was a call to go back to the gold standard but of course, that is impossible.  Modern financial operations simply could not be supported by gold alone unless the price was astronomical (I've heard $7000/ounce mentioned before).  The next idea was to tie currency rates to a basket of commodities and natural resources that countries have.  Similar effect though- commodities prices would spike.  Both approache would effect GDP indirectly because they would directly effect both sides of an economy.

Then there is the idea of using crypto currencies (i.e. bitcoin) which remove the ability for countries to adjust rates.  You can image how popular that one is at the sovereign level.

This paper seems to start the idea that a business can achieve value by non-monetary means- literally human capitol.  If this were to be the case then it is perfectly conceivable that a company's valuation could be based solely on its people and operations.  I'm not sure if this is a sustainability issue since fiat money is already created out of air.  Yes there are huge problems with NOT being pegged to something real but that problem is also an advantage in another context.

I could see adding such a dynamic to the mix.  We're always talking about how "valuable" STEM people are yet most people are not paid for the truth worth of their abilities.  Everyone is going to say that but with STEM professionals, there's a valid argument.  I could see this being stimulative as companies would be looking to use and hire more STEM professionals since it immediately would increase corporate worth.  Over the long term, the people that are most likely to be innovative and productive would increase net corporate worth.  That's assuming we also get away from the American management model.

It would be nice to be worth my weight in gold next time someone tells me that.

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167